If you run a business, you do need a website.
A website can help you to grow your business exponentially. But are all the websites successful? If not, then what are the important things that make a website successful?
Well, if you are a novice webmaster, this blog post may help you in understanding how you can build & launch your website successfully.
In this blog post, we have shared 5 steps for you to set up & launch a successful business website in 2020-2021.
Let’s get started.
#1 Domain name & web hosting
The first step towards website design & development is to think about a domain name.
The domain name is the unique identity of your website that you choose to have, for eg. www.websitename.com
Below are some of the tips for you to choose a domain name for your business website:
- Make it easy to type.
- Use keywords if possible.
- Keep it short.
- Avoid numbers and hyphens if possible.
- It must be easy to remember.
- Use an appropriate domain name extension depending upon the geolocation of your services.
- Take prompt action to book it before you lose it.
Your domain name may cost you between $20 and $75 per annum.
Once you have decided upon a domain name, you need to subscribe to a web hosting package too. Web hosting is the virtual storage of your website where all the files, emails, codes, and databases sit together.
Although your website developer can help you to choose the right web hosting providers, you must also know about the things that you need to check in your hosting provider.
The website hosting can either break or make your website, therefore you really need to make sure that you choose a reliable hosting provider only.
Here are some of the things to check before you subscribe for a web hosting plan:
- The hosting provider must offer 24/7 Support.
- Get the right amount of bandwidth & storage.
- Check out their security & backup plans.
- The cost must be affordable.
- Check out the reviews of existing customers.
- They must provide an SSL certificate.
You can easily get a shared hosting plan somewhere between $60 and $200 per annum.
#2 Deciding the web design budget
The next step toward building a website for your business is to decide your website design budget. There is no standard marking on the cost of website development. Therefore, you must decide your own web development budget according to your finances and website requirements.
The more features you want to incorporate with your website, the higher can be your web development cost.
But if you are on a budget like most of the small businesses & startups, you can consider choosing WordPress for your website development.
How can WordPress help you to reduce your website development cost?
- WordPress is an open-source CMS and hence it’s free to use.
- Most of the WordPress plugins are available either free of cost or at a nominal price.
- Most of the WordPress themes are also available for less than $75.
- WordPress websites can run on almost all kinds of servers, therefore you won’t find any issues in shortlisting a reliable yet affordable server to host your website.
- Being stiff competition among WordPress developers, you can easily find and hire a website developer at an affordable cost.
While deciding upon your web design budget, you must also list down the features that you need in your website. It will make it easier for you to communicate with your developer in a better way.
#3 Hiring a website developer
Once you decide your budget to build your website, the next step is to start searching for a website developer.
The best way to shortlist and hire a reliable yet affordable developer is to seek quotations from different web developers.
If you just talk to a single developer and decides to go ahead with him, you may realise later that you could have found an affordable option.
To avoid this regret, you can contact different website developers and web design companies and request them to send you a quote based on your requirements.
Here are 7 important tips to hire a website developer:
- Check out the experience of your developer or web development company.
- Check out the past works of your web developer.
- Check out what other customers have to say about them. In other words, request the list of testimonials from your shortlisted web developers.
- Check out the quality of their work if it matches your expectations.
- Check out the kind of support that they will provide you after launching your website.
- Make sure that they also provide web maintenance services to their customers too. Perhaps, it would be a great idea to check with them their website maintenance packages.
- Last but not least check out the quality of their communication along with their affordability.
#4 Testing & Feedback
The next step after your web developer builds your website is to test it & provide proper feedback.
Testing your website is the most crucial step in the whole web development process.
It is very much likely that you may face some bugs & issues on your website after your developer completes his work. It is therefore important for you to test your website.
Below are some of the important things that you must check on your website before launching it publicly:
- Responsiveness of your website.
- Broken links on the website.
- SEO meta tags to optimize the website for search engines.
- The loading speed of all the webpages of your website.
- Grammatical checks in the content of your website.
- Validation & functionality of all the forms on your website.
#5 Website maintenance
Last but not the least, website maintenance is another important step to run a successful website. Just like you maintain your health and car, you do need to maintain your website as well.
Why website maintenance is so important?
- Well, below are 8 major reasons to maintain a website regularly:
- To have fresh & updated content on your website always.
- To ensure & maintain the performance of your website.
- To protect your website from all kinds of possible threats.
- To ensure the regular backup of your website.
- To enhance the user experience by regularly adding new features.
Additionally, when you maintain your website regularly, you don’t need to redesign it often. So, the website maintenance also saves your website development cost.